This game is AWESOME!!! I love it at first time, the graphics are pretty cool and reminds the F-ZERO saga. The difficulty is pretty high even in easy mode, but I think this makes this game more fun because it's a real challenge.
Brutal Pico Race
Choose one ship out of three class, choose a track and try to finish first ! You can also challenge a friend, alone or with AI, in split-screen mode !
Brutal Pico Race features :
- Single player or two players in splitscreen
- 3 class of ships -heavy -normal -light with different speed curve
- 3 tracks
- 3 AI levels
Controls - keyboard or gamepad :
Use arrows to choose your ship / track / AI level
Z/C/N to start
When 2 players is selected, the second player can choose his own ship directly with S/F
- Player 1
- steering : arrow LEFT, arrow RIGHT
- accelerate Z/C/N, break V/X/M
- boost arrow UP
- Player 2
- steering : S, F
- accelerate TAB/Z, brake Q
- boost E
- After race
- up/down the chase other ships
- Be careful with boost activation, before entering a turn is not always a good idea
- Health affect how often boost can be activated
- You can gain some speed by using riding on the half pipe in the turns
- Collision affect health and speed, so be careful you can't repair your ship in race and try not to touch other ship to maximize your speed
Great thanks to the pico 8 community (Zep, @p01, @FSouchu, @Felice_Enellen, Morgan...), all the followers who help me on the project ! And many thanks to my wife and children for the playtests and ships/tracks contribution !
If you like this game, don't hesitate to support it ! This will help me doing more ;)
- We can finally die !
- Fix live rank
- Fix a bug where boost had not influence on centrifugal force, so now be carefull with boost spamming !
- Add chronometer and timeboard (best race time per track and per AI skill)
- Add 3 tracks
- Add a 2 channels music for single player race
- Add controls helps
- Adaptive difficulty on boost, AI use less often boost when you're last or 3rd
- Change ship names
- Increase difficulty
- 3 kinds of bots
- Better end screen
- Changing camera after race
- Other ship progress on left
- Cooldown for ships collision damage
- Changing track loader, room for 3 new tracks
- Better boost visual fx
- Fix boost sound fx in splitscreen
- Change morgan3d heapsort with triplefox's shellsort
- first public
- Changed rasterizer for @p01
- Initial version
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thanks, at first it was too easy, so I level up AI. If I can give you some tricks, the boost is the key :)
The game is so fun!! I'm really impressed by this complexity on a pico game. Félicitations et merci pour ce merveilleux jeu!
It's nearly impossible to catch up to the enemies, at least for me.
Even with the boost (up key) ? Or sliding on the half-pipe ? Avoid collision or take the 2 lasts ships to maximize acceleration
hey nice work! impressive pico game!
Made a video
Ahah, great video ! I confirm that you can not die in this version, the "HP" only affect the boost frequency. The idea of going faster when you are close to 0 HP is cool, I should have think about it !
Not a bad 15-20 minute
Since enemies steer differently it would be nice to see if they drop hazards onto the tracks
Hello, that's a good idea but I have no more token left and I can't add such a feature on pico8. If I plan to port the game on a real platform, I surely bring that feature to the port :)
Oh in order to add features to PICO8 one has to install additional $$$ implements?
No no, the game is made with Pico8 virtual console. This system has a lot a restriction, 128x128 pixels, 4 audio channels, 16 colours... and 8192 "Tokens" to simulate program memory. One of the challenge when programming on this system is to make a maximum of feature fit in those 8192 tokens. When hitting the limit, the only way to add feature is to optimize the ones that already exists. At a moment optimization also hit a limit and you have the best that pico8 can offer :)
The other way to go further is to port the game on a real platform where there is no such limit, such as unity or anything else. But that is another story
Oh very interesting the constraints. In that sense it's like a NES of some sorts. Is Pico-8 written in Lua?
pico8 expose LUA so it is very accessible. You have a kind of NES or SNES, with a little studio for sprite,map,sound fix and music. One big advantage is that you focus directly on the game and you don't lose time in details 😃
I love this game! Great work!
Thanks a lot, I prepare a new release in the week-end, a bit more difficult, opponents with different behaviour, a kind of "minimap", end race screen more interesting with possibility to see where are the bots. Stay tune !
Played your game on my series, Indie Game Roundup. Very promising so far!
Hey! Played a buncha of this on my channel. I was no good, but I did have fun. :P
Really enjoyable game to play! I was impressed by the number of options available in player count, difficulty, and different courses and ships. With the hardest difficulty, the game gives a tough challenge. The graphics are really good work too - the overall look is very low-resolution retro, but for the precise gameplay, the tracks seems to be made with polygons, if I saw right. Only thing I really miss is music during the race, not that it's a big problem, you can play your own.
We'd love to see this game in our contest ,the Game Development World Championship!